£100 extra when you arrange your vehicle sale and collection in under 24 hours* T&C's apply

Car Tax Without V5C

Can You Tax a Car Without a V5C?

  • Why Sell2Swansway:

  • Guaranteed valuation
  • Hassle free collection
  • Competitive offers
  • Get paid fast

The Vehicle Registration Certificate (V5C), commonly known as the logbook, is an essential document for owning and taxing a car. Whether you've recently purchased a vehicle and are waiting for the logbook to arrive or have misplaced it, understanding the process of taxing a car without a V5 is important. In this Sell 2 Swansway blog post, we will explore the guidelines and steps involved in taxing a car without a V5 in the UK.

Do I need a V5C to tax my car?

As the registered keeper of the vehicle, it is indeed possible to tax a car without a V5. However, you will need to gather a few separate documents to proceed. Firstly, you will require the DVLA V11 reminder, which serves as an essential proof of ownership and taxation eligibility. Additionally, you must have valid proof of a current MOT for the vehicle. These documents are crucial in the absence of a V5 and will be used for taxation purposes.

How do I tax a car without a V5? 

Let's explore the necessary actions to take in this situation:

Step 1: Apply for a Replacement V5C

The first step is to apply for a replacement V5C logbook through the official gov.uk website. The cost of a replacement is £25, and you can expect the new logbook to arrive within 5 working days. This will provide you with the necessary documentation to proceed with the taxing process.

Step 2: Visit your Local Post Office

To tax a car without a V5, you will need to visit your local Post Office branch. Make sure to bring the following documents: your DVLA V11 reminder, a valid MOT certificate, and, if applicable, a valid GVR or PSVC (if mentioned on your V11). If you live in Northern Ireland, make sure you have a valid paper copy of your certificate of insurance as well.

Step 3: Payment Options

You will need to make the payment for your vehicle tax at your local post office. You can choose from various payment methods, including cash, debit card, or credit card. Additionally, it is possible to set up a Direct Debit arrangement to ensure convenient payment of your vehicle tax in the future.

So, Taxing a Car Without a V5C in the UK is Possible?

Yes, you can tax your car without your log book. You can acquire all the relevant documents at your local post office. 

If you are thinking of selling your car, you should consider Sell 2 Swansway. Our process is completely hassle free, our valuations are competitive, we pick up the vehicle when it suits you best, and we transfer funds immediately. Don’t delay, get your car valuation now. 

Share this post on

Holly Harris

Related Articles

Sell your next car with Swansway

If you’re looking to sell your car before it depreciates too much then get a competitive quote in under 60 seconds with Swansway. With over half a century of experience and nearly 8,000 positive reviews on Trust Pilot, you can trust that selling your car from Swansway is simple, risk-free and competitive.

Logo Step 1 of 4
Your Vehicle

Please wait ...

it may take more than a few seconds

Let’s start with the mileage

Sorry, we couldn't find your vehicle


Now tell us about you

    Not your car?

    Let’s try again with your car

    Please note, we're unable to buy your vehicle if you've owned it for less than 6 months.